Forgiveness is a skill that almost anyone can benefit from. This concept is taught in almost every quality anger management course and one of the well documented interventions in the Century Anger Management model of intervention. Forgiveness is, by definition “to stop feeling anger toward (someone who has done something wrong) : to stop blaming (someone) [+ obj]“. When we learn how to forgive, we actually learn how to free of our anger and pain associated with a particular person, situation or problem.
For some, learning how to forgive is difficult because a grudge or grievance has already been formed. It is often hard to let go of a grudge. In many ways, grudges protect us, but they have one big fault, they do not allow us to let go and be free of the pain. The skill of forgiveness can be gained by taking an anger management class or in a certified online anger management course.
Anger management programs who include forgiveness as a skill will discuss several important ways this concept can be applied. For example, forgiveness is not two-sided (either you forgive or you don’t). Forgiveness can be broken into several steps such as:
1. You do not have to forgive all at once, it can be an organic process that happens over time.
2. You do not have to agree that what happened to you was “OK”, in fact, you can let the other person know how wrong they where, but then let go of your grievance.
3. Forgiving and trusting are separate things. Trusting too quickly may be more of an indication of low worth. Forgiving can be happen quickly if you choose, but trusting takes time.
4. You can forgive a person, but it doesn’t mean you need to maintain a relationship with them.
5. Forgiving is always for yourself. The bi-product of forgiveness is that the other person often feels better too knowing they’ve been forgiven.
6. Sometimes you forgive without saying anything at all. There are some people that might even be offended by your suggestion of forgiveness.
7. Forgive in increments. Eventually you’ll be able to let go.
We use forgiveness as a skill in anger control classes because by letting go of our pain and anger we no longer carry the hurt along with us everywhere we go and every relationship we enter. Give it a try and see if you can let go too!
Anger Management| anger management clases| online anger management classes| court ordered anger management| forgiveness